Request for a residence permit - Bordeaux Montaigne University v1.2

Applying for a visa and residence permit

Applying for a visa and residence permit

Do you need a visa to enter France?

Citizens of European Union and European Economic Area (EEA) countries do not need a visa to cross the border.

If you are not a EU/EEA citizen, you are subject to a long-stay visa (more than 90 days), and you will need to apply for a "student VLS-TS" (long-stay visa valid as residence permit for students) at the competent consular authority of your country of residence. Algerian students must apply for a « long-stay student visa ».

A valid passport is required for the visa.

For more information or to apply for a visa:

Please note: the visa application process takes time. Make sure you apply as soon as possible and no later than 1 month before your trip.

For your visa application and for all the other formalities you will have to undertake in France, you will need :

  1. The certified birth certificate extract: apostilled or legalized if necessary
  2. Copy of you last diploma

If these documents are not written in French, you will need to have them translated by a sworn translator.

Once in France

Depending on the nature of your visa, you will need to complete different administrative procedures upon arrival in France.

In all cases, you must either have your VLS-TS validated or apply for a residence permit on the ANEF website:

Please note: your administrative registration at the university must be validated in order to apply for a residence permit. Make sure you complete your registration as soon as possible upon arrival in Bordeaux.

As soon as you arrive in France, remember to register with the consular authorities of your country. This will simplify your procedures, for example, in the event of loss or theft of your identity documents.

Useful links: