Health insurance - Bordeaux Montaigne University v1.2

Health insurance

How to get health insurance when you are an international student in France? 

Please note: The procedures and rights are different if you are a citizen from a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or from other countries. 

Anyone who works or resides in France on a stable and regular basis has the right to have their health costs covered personally and continuously throughout their life. To do this you must be able to prove a domicile in France. 


Prepare your registration for health insurance

Registration for health insurance can be done on the "ameli" website. Before registration, make sure you have the following information and administrative documents: 

  • Email address 
  • Postal adress in France 
  • Phone number 
  • National identity card, passport
  • Residence permit 
  • Certificate of education for the current year 
  • Bank information for your reimbursements: IBAN (International Bank Account Number), RIB (Bank Identity Statement) 
  • A civil status document (a full copy of your birth certificate, an extract of birth certificate with parentage, any document drawn up by a consulate, a family book, a marriage book)

Please note: International agreements and conventions may provide other supporting documents. 


Other documents to be provided depending on the country of origin:

If you are a citizen from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland without a European Health Insurance Card (CEAM) or provisional certificate, you must provide the S1 form (which certifies that you are entitled to reimbursement of health care costs by the social security system in your country of origin may be issued to you) 

If you are not a citizen of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) you must provide your residence permit.

After registration 

Once you have registered, you will be given a provisional social security number and you can download your provisional social security affiliation certificate. This provisional number allows you to have access you to have access to the reimbursement of your health costs by health insurance (you can submit missing or non-conforming supporting documents at any time in the personal area on the website).


The Vital Card (Carte vitale)

Once you have acquired a definitive sociale Security number, you will be able to create your Ameli account and obtain your vital card (by providing a recent identity photograph and a copy of your identity document) .

Your vital card contains all the information necessary to reimburse your health costs. By presenting it to your doctor, you can be sure of being automatically reimbursed within a week, without having to send in a medical form.

Declare an attending doctor 

In order to get a better reimbursement, you should not forget to declare a general practitioner. A general practitioner is the one who treats you regularly. This is the doctor you consult first for advice on your health, who ensures that your medical care is optimal.

This declaration can be made online by the doctor you have chosen, with your agreement. In practice, during a consultation at his/her practice and on presentation of your Vital Card, the doctor will send the declaration directly to your primary health insurance fund.