Insurance - Bordeaux Montaigne University v1.2

Civil, liability, complementary health, home

Home Insurance 

Home insurance covers the damage that is caused to your home and your property in it in the event of a claim. It also has coverage for your liability, often insurers offer two in one. Housing insurance covers guarantees for damage to the policyholder’s property and liability guarantees (damage caused by policyholders or the insured, to third parties). Taking out a home insurance policy is therefore of definite interest, with a view to protecting yourself against the financial consequences of a claim caused by you or a third party.

The objective is to compensate the victims of the incident which would have occurred in the context of the occupation of a dwelling.

Whether you live in a student residence or rent furnished or unfurnished accommodation, it is very important and useful to take out student home insurance. In some cases it is compulsory.

 Sometimes your home insurance will be taken out by the lessor and included in the price of your rent. Check if this is the case, study the scope of the guarantees and take out more comprehensive protection if necessary. However, you should check the extent of the guarantees taken out before installing.

Make sure you are protected from steal, risk of fire, broken glas and water damage.

In the case of empty student accommodation, the ‘rental risks’ guarantee is compulsory. The latter protects you from the owner in the event of damage to the accommodation. This student home insurance will protect in particular in the event of fire, water, damage, explosion, etc. The lessor is entitled to request a copy of the certificate of home insurance for your student accommodation on the day of the inventory (descriptive document making an inventory of a space). The insurance will be used in the event of a claim that you have caused in the accommodation for the duration of the rental lease.

However, when you rent an unfurnished student apartment or room, it will be more advantageous to take out insurance against all “mutli-risk” risks for a conventional home. Your insurance will be able to cover you against the damage that you cause to others, but you will also be covered for the damage caused on your various personal goods: Movable property – computer equipment – household appliances.

Unlike empty property, it is not compulsory to take out student accommodation insurance for rented furnished accommodation (with some exceptions: such as university rooms or private student residences). However, your responsibility remains engaged in case of damage caused to furniture and equipment present in the accommodation, but also to that of neighbors. It is therefore important to cover yourself despite the non-compulsory nature of this insurance.

In this case, your liability insurance is sufficient to reimburse the damage that you could cause.

A multi-risk student home insurance policy allows you to be protected against theft-glass breakage- fire- flooding etc. You will have to see the terms with your insurer.

If your accommodation is a homestay, it is generally not necessary to subscribe to one, the owner of the premises has normally already ensured his accommodation.

However, your liability insurance remains compulsory.

Which home insurance to choose when you are roommate: know that there are specific contracts.

At least one of the roommates can take out insurance for student accommodation to cover all the others, including rental risks. The subscriber will then only have to nominate his roommates by name in a contract so that they can benefit from the same guarantees, namely the guarantee of rental risks, civil liability or even the protection of personal property.

Each tenant also has the choice of taking out their own personal insurance but will still have to specify the identity of their contract. In this case, it is recommended that each person living in the accommodation, take out protection with the same insurer in order to simplify the procedures in the event of a claim.

It should be remembered that whatever the type of accommodation, it is strongly recommended to take out home insurance as a student. Indeed, the costs that will have to be paid in the event of damage may prove to be very heavy to finance depending on the severity of the incident, in particular for a student budget, which is generally quite limited.

Insurance example:

  • Axa 2,92 €/ month or 36 € per year
  • Banks: generally, 4€/ month including civil liability
  • Maaf : depending on the surface area of your accommodation, from 20€ to 30€ per year, in addition to civil liability.

Liability insurance

To register at the University, you must provide a certificate of civil liability insurance valid for the duration of the study year or that covers at least the duration of your stay (if the duration is less than one year). This insurance covers damage that you may cause, unintentionally to others.

You have several options for purchasing insurance:

Online or at an agency with a student mutual insurance company before or after your arrival in France (LMDE or VITTAVI ...)

When taking out home insurance.

When opening a bank account in France.

In all cases, you must provide a certificate of liability insurance : 

- In French; 
- In your name;
- Specifying the geographic coverage (France included);
-Valid for the current academic year or for the whole of your stay, if you only stay a few months. 

Complementary insurance

Social security does not cover all health costs, the rate of reimbursement varies according to the type of treatment. For the part of the cost that you have to pay, you can take out a mutual health insurance or complementary health insurance. Several insurance companies offer preferential rates for students. You can subscribe to a mutual health insurance scheme as soon as you obtain a social security number, even if it is provisional.

Students of nationality outside the European Union welcome as part of a short-term exchange program (less than 6 months) have an interest in taking out health insurance, to cover any health care in France.

Students benefit from the assumption of their health costs in the event of illness, the health cover consists of two insurances:

Compulsory scheme: health insurance

Supplementary insurance (mutual)

Complementary insurance is not compulsory but very strongly recommended, in particular for the reimbursement of the remaining 30% dependent after social security. Some students can also continue to benefit from their parents' complementary health insurance.

Complementary universal health cover (CMUC) or assistance with the payment of complementary health (ACS) are two systems managed by the CPAM which can allow students with low resources to have complementary health. To check eligibility, visit

More infos on: